Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's a Thanksgiving & Christmas Miracle!

I'm managing to post within a month of my last one! Better, wouldn't you say? Well, I did give you a little preview at the end of my last post about what I'd be up to next, so I thought I'd fill you all in.

We had our YSA Holiday Gala on the 17th. Yeah, a little early if you ask me, but these couple of months get packed so I think they wanted to just get it over with.

The fun part for me was dressing up and going out to eat with a dinner group before. We went and got Indian at the Bombay Club. It was fun, and yummy, but can I just complain for a sec about the ratios out here sometimes? There were about 10 girls and 2 guys at dinner. And one of those guys was late, so for a while it was just one. And he's dating someone. So yeah, I'm glad I have lots of good girl friends out here, cause that's pretty much all there is.

Anyway! We went on to the dance, but the music was so lame! I have to say, I'm really glad I got the DJ I did for the Ed Conf. dance cause it was awesome. I don't know who the DJ was for the Gala, but it stunk. It started out all 80's music, which some of you will know I am NOT a fan of. Plus there was a slow song after every other song. I have already mentioned the problem here about the ratio, so you can just imagine me becoming a wallflower or running off the bathroom every 4 minutes. Then we went into the Techno part where they played clubbing techno music for 20 mins. Kill me now! But guess what was after that? Latin music! For another 20 minutes! Now if it was swing, that might be a little more fun, but doing a basic cha-cha for twenty minutes, again because of the ratio thing, without a partner, is not fun. So basically I was trying to dance and have a good time but just couldn't get into it. So finally Trisha, Mike and I left to go find some Hot Chocolate. What we found was the flavor bar at the "Sev" (7-11) which was delicious. We made it back to the dance in time to see the music was finally something danceable, so we got a little in before it ended. All in all, not the best night ever, but I did look pretty fantastic if I do say so myself. Here are the two pictures I took. Yep, I'm lame.




Mike and Trisha



Me and my roomie Lora

Next was supposed to be the Thanksgiving Road Trip. But that got cancelled. I was super bummed, but I ended up going with my other roomies up to New Hampshire to Lora's brother's house. The food was amazing! Plus they have the cutest kids. It was a relaxing day, we just ate, talked and played some games.

On Friday the quest for the perfect winter coat was finally completed! Check it out:

I was feeling a little like Goldilocks after mail ordering two coats, the first which was WAY too big, but said it was a Small, and the second, which although it fit, was a little too long and comfy and basically made me look like I was wearing a sleeping bag. So I finally found one that's Just Right! Plus it was cheaper and more flattering. So now I am warm and chic!

I also went and saw "Enchanted", which I think my expectations were too high for. I'd read some really good reviews, but it was only so-so. Still fun and good, but not the best thing I've seen this year.

Other things I've been up to. I've been doing some bookbinding in my free time, check out some journals I made for our Service Auction.



They all sold for around $25 each! Yay! Plus, I made the pink one for me. I'm not going to let myself write in it until I have filled up my last one. I have so many blank or half filled journals it's crazy. I don't really need more, but this paper was so perfect, I couldn't resist! So I'm writing in my journal again, which is good, since you know how much I blog here.

Lastly, I will leave you with some pictures of my fabulous room.







Most of these were taken right after I got everything set up and moved in, so my desk and stuff is a little messy. Sorry. But the pillows I made just a month ago. I think they turned out really cute! The I fabric I used was going to be a quilt, but I didn't think I'd ever get around to it, and it was just too perfect not to use! I still need to finish my roller shades, I'm putting fabric on those too, but I have to clamp it down to do it and now that it's cold, who know's when that will get done. Also did you notice my little earring holder? It's a picture frame with window screen material stapled to the back, so I can slip my earrings onto it. I have a lot and it's just perfect! Anyway, I love my yellow walls and little window cubbies. They are perfect for my lamps. Also I will have to post a picture of my rug, cause it's super cute, but you can't see it.


Also, I did you see the "Princess Bed"?! Judith Girls, I knew you'd enjoy that! I have a HUGE queen size bed, that I put up on big cinder blocks for more storage underneath! I love it, but I think I'm going to need a stool to start getting up on it soon. When I'd injured my hip, it was a real pain. Plus, I don't have a nightstand that's tall enough... Oh well, I have TONS of ROOM! It's bliss. And makes me feel like this:



Maybe sometime soon I'll take some pics of the other rooms I painted. It's pretty colorful up on the 3rd floor here. I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving. I can't believe it's almost December! Wow! I'm going HOME for Christmas and can't wait!

4 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Wow Carly. You are way talented. I don't know the first thing about sewing or book binding or event planning. I'm excited you get to go home for Christmas. My brother gets home from his mission on Dec. 12 so we get to go home too. Have a great Christmas!

Melanie said...

Carly~ Your stuff looks great. Your room is so cute. Don't you just love your queen size bed???? Plus I do have to agree with you on how fabulous you look at the dance. your such a hottie :0) Well I hope you have a great christmas if I don't talk to you earlier. Keep up the fun posts. I always love to see your fun creative things you come up with. Oh and the journals are very cute. I loved them.

Mrs. B said...

Love the coat, Carly! Too bad it's still like 65 here in Atlanta, or I'd have to know where you got it so I could get one too!
Love ya!

Kaydi Paxman said...

Car--your stuff looks great!! I'm jealous of your craftiness! I hope you have fabulous new year's eve plans. I hope 2008 brings you the best!!